09 December, 2010

Paul Debevec: Parthenon & Live 3D Teleconferencing


While I was studying to get my Masters in Computer Animation, I learned about the work of Academy Award winning animator Paul Debevec, who leads the Institute for Creative Technologies at USC in California. Two projects that interested me recently are featured below. One of his signature pieces, an animation he created with his students, reconstructs the Parthenon, a great example of using animation to teach and share. You can look at the video by clicking the link below:

The Parthenon

To this day, it is by far one of the most inspiring pieces of modeling, texturing and lighting that I have ever seen...a fantastic simple presentation. If you would like to learn more about the project, or if you haven't seen the movie yet, be sure to check it out.

Another piece you should look at his work on live 3D Teleconferencing, where you can talk to someone "real time" in a hollographic way. Way cool and it reminds me of the scene in Star Wars E4 where R2D2 projects Princess Leia's image to get things rolling. Check out the video below or to learn more click here >:




No comments:

Post a Comment